Amidst all of our traveling and projects, I got the urge to make something decadent and homemade. My mom had given me a ton of rhubarb the last time I saw her, so I knew exactly what to do!
Cassie's Rhubarb Crisp
- 6 cups of sliced fresh rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar (use slightly less for a nice tart crumble)
- 1/3 cup flour
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of ground ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (use regular sugar if you run out of brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup butter (I used unsalted)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- Chop the rhubarb into thin slices and put in a 9x9" or 9x13" baking dish. Add the 1/2 cup of regular sugar, and mix it around with your hands until rhubarb is evenly coated. Stop for a moment and admire the pretty pink and green rhubarb.
- In a separate bowl prepare the topping. Soften the butter ( you don't want it too hot, just melted enough so you can mix it in easily) and add in the butter, oats, brown sugar, flour, ginger, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Mix with your fork (or your hands- as I like to do!) until the topping is clumpy and crumbly. Spread topping evenly over the cut up rhubarb.
- Pop it in the oven at 375 degrees for 35 minutes until topping starts to brown and the rhubarb is bubbling.
- Enjoy! I like to eat it hot with some ice cream over the top of it!