Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Repetition

I've been busy cleaning the apartment the last few days, but I've managed to fit in some 'project time' between folding massive amounts of clothes and vacuuming all of the forgotten nooks and crannies. I've been wanting to make some stamps for a while now, and finally sat down and did it.
This is the same lace pattern that I'm painting in oil. It is burned into my memory now, so recreating it again was fairly easy.
I also made some other stamps as well. My goal is to use them with fabric paint on scarves and handbags. I'm doing a small craft fair at the end of the month, so I wanted to have some easy-to-make items to whip up for it. I think the fishes are cute. They remind me of illustrations from the 40's. I used both some EZ-cut rubber stamp stuff from Blick, and part of a 4x4" sheet of Mastercarve, the Blick stuff was a lot harder to use, the mastercarve rocked my socks off. :)
I tried them on paper first with some old ink pads. That's why the stamps are so light.
We'll see where this leads. :)
Also, I sewed a really cute scarf yesterday. I've got to iron it so I can show you, but for now, you'll have to take my word for it.
Sorry about the lack of garden pics too, as of now the plot is sitting empty. Our landlord had promised us it would be tilled by the beginning of this month. It is still not tilled, so I can't plant anything yet or they will go over what I plant. I am kind of sad because by the time they get it done, I don't think my spinach and radishes will take because it will be too warm. :(

6 comments:

Team Knit said...

wow, those stamps are awesome! what did you carve them out of? I can't quite figure out the material.

- Julie

Allyson said...

awww! I know what you mean about the radishes, I was hoping we would have two rounds of them, but its getting too warm now so quickly that we will have to harvest them all this weekend. Some of ours came out bright pink or dark purple instead of the bright red that most of them are. Fun!!!

jennifer said...

You are so gifted!

Chrissy said...

I love the stamps, and actually quite like the muted colour of the prints. It gives the images an aged look.

I would also like to know what you used to make the stamps.

CassieMarie said...

Thanks guys,
I just edited the post to include a link to the stuff I used - it is called Mastercarve, and you should be able to get it at most art stores in the printmaking section. Here's a link to it online:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/staedtler-mastercarve-artist-carving-blocks/
it is about $2 for a 4x4"sheet, and you can make a lot of little stamps from one sheet. I just used an exacto knife to carve it out.

Chris said...

Oh man, I can just picture a scarf stamped with those - they're fantastic! I fear that if I tried to be as cool, I'd carve my finger right off!