Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Back to the Grind

lace painting 06
I'm grasping on to the last little bits of summer. I've got a few short days to prepare for the semester - classes start this coming Monday and there is a lot to do. There is a lot on my plate this semester, and I hope I can keep up with it all. I am both excited and intimidated by this last year of school.
As far as my studio work goes, I've been off to a productive start. I just finished this painting, part of a series of lace paintings that are framed in formerly gaudy salvaged frames.
lace painting 04
These paintings are done from observation: hand drawn from commercially produced vintage lace. They are done in ink, with a brush and an ink pen. I draw the general layout with pencil first, and then fill in the negative areas each by each. They are part of a larger series that is exploring handmade items, and their commercial counterparts.
fungus 03
I am also working on a wall sculpture/installation that deals with some of the same issues, but from a different approach. I've sewn, structured, and stuffed eight little pieces so far, and I am in the midst of seaming them all together, and crocheting doily panels to cover the tops of them.
fungus 01
It has been a really peaceful and cool morning, and I'm hoping to make some progress on these today. I think I'll also be posting later on my garden. It has gone nuts! We've been eating so well these last few weeks!

7 comments:

carolynswafford said...

Oh my, your painting is BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to see the crochet worked up.

MK said...

gorgeous work as always!

Team Knit said...

that painting is sooo lovely! The sculpture pieces look really interesting, too. I wish I had your crochet skills!

- Julie

Chelsea said...

these are stunning.

A Beautiful Party said...

looks great, cassie! you're going to have a great semester... promise!

CassieMarie said...

Thanks guys. :)
I'm almost done with the crochet pieces! I can't wait to post them!

kimberly said...

Your artwork is lovely!