Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Last Day of Summer

flowers 02
Today is the last day of summer break that I'll ever have as a student. It is strange to think about. I'm entering the last year of my MFA degree as you know, and I've gotten entirely used to the cyclical nature of the school year. All along I've relied on summer as a time to recapture my sanity. After I am done with my degree, I will try to get an adjunct teaching position, but with the economy the way it is now, many totally qualified people are having to look elsewhere to make a living.
So much of the next few years of my life is completely out of my hands. I've been having a bit of anxiety over the whole situation, especially when people ask me about what my plans are. In the midst of the chaos of this last week of summer break, I've been cooking a lot. It calms me down.
Chocolate Chip, Zucchini, and Flax Muffins:
choccolate chip, flax, and zucchini muffins
Pasta with homeade fresh tomato basil sauce with tomato and mozzarella salad:
pasta with tomato salad
We've been getting so much food out of our garden as well. We've been eating well. This is about what we've been getting out of it every day:
loot from the garden
Plus the tomatoes and the cucumbers have started to ripen as well. I made some homemade hummus this week too so that I could make some veggie sandwiches with hummus, cucumber, tomato, and feta cheese on them. I've been eating those for lunch almost every day.

I also spent a good chunk of this week in the studio, which was good. Ann and I met there one day and had coffee afterwords. Ann is a fellow classmate and makes really beautiful artwork. I hope you have a chance to visit her blog - A Beautiful Party - she needs some cheering up this week too.
'Hellcat' - By Ann Flowers

8 comments:

carolynswafford said...

Your vegetables look awesome. I wish I liked things as healthy as what you eat!!! Hang in there with the anxiety - you can't do anything about the future (well, like you said). Take deep breaths and the proverbial "one day at a time." (that's so hokey, I just want to gag):)

Team Knit said...

the garden goodies look delish!! It's always hard to not have some apprehension about the unknown, but I'm sur eeverything will work out. It's still almost a year away, and maybe the perfect position will come along. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

- Julie

Anonymous said...

Baking soothes so well. Hoping your future is even better than you hope.

jennifer said...

I remember the feeling of the first September that I did not go back to school. It was so weird! The end of Summer just feels like time for new things!

Have a wonderful last year! I feel very confident that you will find a great job on the other end, even if teaching isn't available at first.

Also, my garden envy lives on...

Anonymous said...

Stress or no stress, the food pics most definitely look delicious!

As for what comes next, I'm sure everything will fall in place. Don't stress about it -- just enjoy your way out!

A Beautiful Party said...

thanks Cassie. I hope you had a good week and are looking forward to this one. lets get some studio time in together soon. i need my friends!

CassieMarie said...

Thanks you guys - your kind words mean so much to me. They definitely cheered me up, and made me feel less anxiety about this next school year. :)

--Cassie

The Juicy Candy said...

Thanks for shaaring